Bible Gateway

Monday, December 08, 2008

CWG, Shoutlife, and other notions

I really can't say enough good things about the Christian Writers Guild Apprentice Level Course. I enrolled this year and am on Lesson 19. Since I began this course, I had Lesson 7 printed in our local newspaper, I have had an extremely nice rejection letter from a major magazine who requested that I submit to them again. And now Today's Christian Woman has requested my Lesson 8. So, far all my lessons have pertained to non-fiction, however my fiction has benefited greatly from what I've learned. I guess you can say this is my humble plug for CWG. If you have wondered about joining, stop wondering and just do it. I think the absolute best thing about this course is the mentor-mentee relationship. I adore my mentor, Judy Bodmer.

On to other thoughts, I recently joined Shoutlife. this is a great community. I felt really welcomed upon joining. However, the only thing I didn't like about it is being inundated with requests from people I don't know who are in the entertainment business requesting to be my friend. I felt like I was being spammed. On the flipside, I like having access to all the ACFW'ers and requesting their friendship, with the added bonus of people who are regular people who like to read wanting to be my friend. I like having something in common with people.

I'm on facebook.com also. I don't like it as well as I do Shoutlife. It's so plain. I can't seem to figure out how to dress it up. I also don't like that you can't search for people with common interests. It's only work, community, or school. What's the deal with that?

Here is a truthful fact about querying: December is the lowest month for queries. Do yourself a favor and send out some queries this month. (Information provided from: CWG)

No comments:

Word of the Day