Bible Gateway

Monday, June 30, 2008

The Life of a Writer

Writing is hard work.

Period.

So, when it is already hard why do we put ourselves through even more hardship by listening to harsh criticism, frustrating ourselves by learning all the rules, or convincing ourselves that we are not good enough to write?

In one of the High School Musical songs, Breaking Free, the lyrics say, "We’re soarin’, flyin’, there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach. If we’re trying, we’re breaking free. Oh runnin’. Climbin’. To get to that place. To be all that we can be. Now’s the time. So we’re breaking free."

I have been reading, Dwight Swain's Techniques of the Selling Writer. Truely, it is changing my way of thinking, concerning writing. Before reading this book, I was a proponent of writing exercises to get those juices flowing, but now I'm seeing that a discipline regiment of writing everday provides the same boost of juices. I wished I had read this book years ago. But then maybe I wasn't ready for it yet.

I'm ready to break free and write with all liberty.

No comments:

Word of the Day